GEOFFREY HEATH WEDGEWOOD Etcher and Engraver

Genealogy for the Heath family's of Saffordshire and surrounding areas.

GEOFFREY HEATH WEDGEWOOD Etcher and Engraver

Postby Denise E Johnson » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Liverpool Echo 2nd February 1972.
An unique honour has been conferred upon Mr Geoffrey Heath Wedgwood of Roby by Liverpools Walker Art Gallery.
Today Mr Wedgwood becomes the first local artist to have a one man show at the City’s gallery during his lifetime.
“I am delighted naturally” says Mr Wedgwood who visited the gallery yesterday for a private view of his work. “If this had happened ten years ago, it would have encouraged me to carry on although engraving is something of a strain on the eyes”.
It was not eye strain that prompted Mr Wedgwood to put away the tools that won him an international reputation as a print maker in the 1920s.
“I was so disenchanted with the way the art was going so I decided to do more”.
Born in Staffordshire Mr Wedgwood has spent most of his life in Liverpool and taught at the Liverpool College of Art for twenty five years until his retirement in 1960.
At the Walkers request Mr Wedgwood has presented the gallery with a selection of his work mostly prints, and the exhibition of 76 items occupying one room – is to mark this gift.
Mr Wedgwood trained at the Liverpool College of Art, London and also in Italy. The works of his exhibition are mostly of Italian or Liverpool scenes.
Much of his work has been sold in America which prints fetched high prices. But the Wall Street crash of 1929 curtailed this market and caused Mr Wedgewood’s return home to teach at the Liverpool Institute and Liverpool City School or Art. Also he had been a contemporary of James Laver the fashion historian.
Geoffrey carried on with his engravings and other media throughout the war years and one of the works in the exhibition shows the Bluecoat Chambers after the blitz.
Geoffrey Heath Wedgwood was born the 6th April 1900 in Leek, Staffordshire, the son of Frank Wedgwood and Jane Alcock Heath the sister of Elizabeth and Mary Heath of 11 Cromwell Terrace Leek (see article on forum Political Worker Annie Heath). By 1911 the family had moved to 16 Ennismore Road Liverpool. Geoffrey was confirmed on the 28th March 1916 at Stanley St Anne Lancashire.
After servicing in the Army during the First World War he studied at Liverpool School of Art and later at the Royal College of Art, London. He attended the British School in Rome winning the Prix de Rome for an engraving in 1925. He was known mostly for his precise architectural etchings.

Geoffrey Heath Wedgwood of 85 Rupert Road, Roby, Merseyside an etcher and engraver died on the 10th June 1977.

Denise
Denise E Johnson

Return to Genealogy