David Heath, Jr. of Morris County, New Jersey

Genealogy for the Heath family's of Saffordshire and surrounding areas.

David Heath, Jr. of Morris County, New Jersey

Postby Donna Tunison » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 am

David Heath, Jr. <David, Sr. <Andrew II, <Andrew I

Brother: Charles Pettit Heath
http://www.heathfamilystaffordshire.co.uk/hfsforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219
Brother: Joseph Worthington Heath
http://www.heathfamilystaffordshire.co.uk/hfsforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218
Nephew: John Heath
http://www.heathfamilystaffordshire.co.uk/hfsforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=246

Until recently little was known about David Heath, Jr., born 1775, the youngest child of David and Mary Worthington Heath. David married Hannah Howell on 25 Dec 1804 in Kingwood Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey [1] and mentioned in his father’s will (written 02 Sep 1812), probated 12 Apr 1820 in Hunterdon County: “I give and bequeath unto my Son, David Heath, a full share of the surplus or reserve of my Estate, with a proviso that the advanced Sum, to him, of one Hundred & forty Dollars [2] must and shall be considered as so much money paid towards his legacy, the remainder to be in thrust (sic) nevertheless to the use and behove (sic) of his wife Hannah & his Heirs for ever.”

David, Jr.’s name appears as a grantee for 303.45 acres at Mine Brook, Morris County, New Jersey, dated 25 Mar 1812. Mine Brook’s source in 1812 is about a mile due west from the middle of Budd’s Lake and runs southwest to where it merges with Musconetcong Creek below Hackettstown. One of the 1819-20 New Jersey Supreme Court cases involved David, Jr. and his brother Joseph as defendants in a lawsuit where the plantiff John Smith claimed they “Trespassed on the case,” (recover damages resulting in injury or loss).

By 1830, David and his family are living in Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. This is the last time David is mentioned in census records.

David Heath
1830; Lebanon Twp., Hunterdon, New Jersey
Free White Persons
Males Born between
5 thru 9: 1 (1821-1825)
10 thru 14: 1 (1816-1820)
60 thru 69: 1 (1761-1770)
Females
40 thru 49: 1 (1781-1790)
Total: 4

A death record in New Jersey archives appears for a Hannah Heath, 73y; Independence Twp., Warren County; April 22, 1853; Book AH: p. 365. Independent Township is located in southern Warren County, bordering with the northern tip of Hunterdon and western Morris Counties. Could this be Hannah Howell? This is curious as no Hannah Heath found in the 1850 census.

It is not known who David, Jr.’s children are, but two strong possibilities are Lewis (abt. 1809-1881) and Daniel Howell Heath (abt. 1816-aft 1860). I have been in contact with one of Lewis Heath’s (abt. 1809-1881) descendents, and found it interesting when he said his DNA match included a descendant of Wheeler Kitchen. Wheeler Kitchen, Sr. married Mary Heath, daughter of Andrew Heath, Jr. Two grandsons of Wheeler and Mary’s (through their son Richard), married their second cousins, Lavinia and Esther Heath, daughters of John Heath and Anna Sovereign, of Long Point, Ontario, giving credence that Lewis and Daniel Howell Heath are the sons of David Heath, Jr. and Hannah Howell. According to the census, there is another male child, born between 1821-1825.

Lewis married Mary Apgar (abt 1814-1907) in Hunterdon County in 1834 and had seven children: Sylvester, Amy, Matilda Mary, William A., Sarah Jane, George Washington Banghard, and Mary Frances Heath. In the 1850 census, Lewis and his family were living in Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Lewis divorced Mary and married Elizabeth Jane Rose in Easton, Pennsylvania in 1859, (the marriage record lists Lewis’s parents as David and Hannah). Lewis and Jane had two daughters, Ella May and Josephine. Mary Apgar Heath married George Hill after 1880, and lived until her death in Raritan, Somerset County, New Jersey. At the time of Mary’s death at the age of 92, she was living with her daughter Amy Clickner. Walking in her sleep, Mary fell out of a window onto the cellar door, rolled down to the flagstone path, and was found unconscious, dying two days later.

Daniel Howell Heath and Sarah N. Apler were married in 1839, by Ephraim Marsh, Morris County Justice of the Peace and husband of Daniel’s cousin, Lavinia Heath. Daniel and Sarah had ten children: Ezekial, Isaac, Peter, Julia, Lewis, Helen Lenora, Adaline, Emmanuel, Mary Jane, and Alexander. Most of these children remained in Morris County, and Hackettstown, area. Daniel name does not appear again after the 1850 census. Sarah appears in the 1860/70/80 census living in Morris County with her children. She appears in the 1885 New Jersey census living in Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey with her sons Alexander and Emmanuel “Manual.” Emmanuel Heath died 09 Jan 1892 in Hackettstown at the age of 35, and his mother, Sarah died over a year later on 26 Apr 1893 at the age of 66 in Hackettstown.

Descendants of Lewis and Daniel Howell Heath were living in Warren, Morris, and Essex Counties into the 20th century. Many of them are buried in Union Cemetery in Hackettstown, New Jersey, including descendants of David Heath, Jr.’s brother, Joseph Worthington Heath.

[1] Tunison, Louise Heath and Courtot, Althea. “The Heath Family of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.

[2] Approximately $2,245 in 2019 U.S. dollars.
Donna Tunison

Return to Genealogy