Elizabeth Barrett-Venables-Heath

Genealogy for the Heath family's of Saffordshire and surrounding areas.

Postby Donna Tunison » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:24 pm

While going through my grandmother, Louise Heath Tunison and father’s Heath files, I came across a (transcribed) document, dated 09 Mar 1697, regarding 400 hundred acres that was sold by Andrew Heath to John Snowden. The property had been purchased in 1682 from William Penn by John Hocock (sic) and Thomas Barrat (sic), brother of Elizabeth Barrett-Venables-Heath and mentions her daughters Joyce and Frances. When researching Elizabeth, there has been some confusion on whether Frances Venables was a male. But this document states they were both female.

While doing a query in Family Search, three results appeared for Thomas Barret/Batrett (likely a transcription error)

Thomas Barrett
Male
Christening Date: 23 May 1643
St Peter, Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
Father: Humphrey Barrett

Thomas Barrett
Christening date: 24 May 1643
St Peter, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England
Father: Humphrey Barrett

Thomas Batrett
Christening date: 22 May 1643
St Peter, Kinver, Stafford, England
Father: Humfrey Batrett
Mother: Mary Batrett

The query on John Hocock’s name turned out to have an interesting result:
John Haycocke
Male
Christening date: 31 Mar 1645
Eccleshall, Stafford, England
Father: John Haycocke

John Heacock
Male
Christening Date: 06 Feb 1653
Father: William Heacock

John Haycocke
Male
Christening Date: 17 Dec 1643
Father: Robert Haycocke

John Heicock
Male
Christening Date: 30 Sep 1659
Father: John Heicock

Johannes Haycock
Male
Christening Date: 20 Dec 1650
Milwich, Stafford, England
Father: Willelmi Haycock
Mother: Elizabethae

It would be interesting to see if there was a connection between John Hocock and the Yardleys.
Donna Tunison

Re: Elizabeth Barrett-Venables-Heath

Postby mrkheath113 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 pm

I'd pulled this off the Forum a while back from Peter DZIK - shame there's so many Haycock's to choose from at Eccleshall...
''...I must slightly correct my point about Andrew’s first wife Elizabeth Barrett. From 1676 , with her husband William Venables, they actually lived at Chatcull, immediately next to tiny Standon parish. They had other quaker families nearby such as the Heacocks of Slindon, some two miles away. Jonathan Heycock of these went on the same ship with them to Pennsylvania in 1682. He had a joint ownership of land with Elizabeth’s brother Thomas. The small village birthplace of both the Venables is known.''
Peter DZIK Dec 2016

MH in Feb 2020
mrkheath113

Postby Donna Tunison » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm

A 1682 Bucks County map shows the location of the Venable's property and it interesting to see where the Heath sisters and spouses' property were located as well. The map was transposed on top of a current map of the same area.
Attachments
1682-2020.jpg
1682 Bucks County
1682-2020.jpg (249.27 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Donna Tunison

Re: Elizabeth Barrett-Venables-Heath

Postby Peter Dzik » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Donna has put land a helpful map of the lands bought by the first Quaker immigrants in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, pointing out the physical relationship to each other and the Venables land. I can see a nearby section apparently bought by Luke Brindley, stonemason of Leek, Staffordshire, also on the same 1682 ship. The marriage of William Venables and Elizabeth Barrett seems fairly certain to have been in 1676 in an Anglican church, before their Quaker conversion. There were, unfortunately, many Barretts, even Elizabeth Barretts, in the wider parish areas, using 1655 as a reasonable birth date. Their two children Joyce and Frances were on the 1682 voyage with them. As yet I cannot find a link to a Thomas Venables with a large property in northern Pennsylvania, who died in 1756.

As to the Heacocks, they had centred on Slindon village (Eccleshall parish) for at least 150 years, with large numbers of Johns baptised. It seems the village was much larger in past times than now, and is only about two miles from the farm of the Venables. I also made a typo error in the past, as it was not Jonathan Heacock who accompanied partner Thomas Barrett in 1682, but John, his older cousin. The latter left his wife Jane at home but returned years later and died in 1695 in Slindon. Jonathan was to become a minor merchant in Stafford before leaving for Chester county, Pennsylvania. The families of these three seem to be possibly closely connected to Thomas Wolrich, as Quakers, a little further south.
Of note is that Slindon and neighbouring areas had long been home to families of Heaths, one of whom was an older married Andrew Heath, who died a couple of miles away in 1672.

I think Thomas Wolrich, relatively near, was more important than William Yardley to the Venables couple, as it appears that their parents were close neighbours of his. And landowner Wolrich also frequently attended the Moorlands Quaker meetings. Two of his daughters married John Armitt of Rushton Spencer and Robert Heath of Kingsley, far from his home. Geographically Slindon is about 12 miles southwest of Hulton Abbey site in eastern Burslem parish. Half a mile back from this was the farm of one Roger Heath in Sneyd Green (Burslem parish).

Note]. Earlier in life I had checked the odd coincidences of names in this following history event to the above story. In late 1654 republican England under the Army generals, sent a large fleet and soldiers to attack the Spanish West Indies. Cromwell was lining up the gold stores, as England was always short of money. The force was commanded by Admiral William Penn senior and Generals Robert Venables of Cheshire, and Barrett. Venables brother in law Major General John Rudyard of Leek, Staffordshire was responsible for supplies. They were joined by several hundred men from New England. It turned out badly, but Jamaica was occupied, although it had to be fought over for several years.
General Rudyard was uncle to Quaker Wm Penn's lawyer Thomas Rudyard, also born at Leek. His signature would be on all the early land purchase records for Pennsylvania. The senior Venables line of Cheshire had centuries earlier sent younger members to manors in mid Staffs. General Barrett appears to be from Cornwall, with a very common surname.
bye pete
Peter Dzik

Return to Genealogy