Rockefeller Connection

Genealogy for the Heath family's of Saffordshire and surrounding areas.

Rockefeller Connection

Postby Donna Tunison » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Elsa Jane Cowdrick-Rockefeller <Amy Heath-Cowdrick <Richard Heath <John Heath <Andrew Heath II < Andrew Heath I

While researching John O. Heath, I took another look at his parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Previous research had shown that Elsa Jane Cowdrick had married a Rockefeller, and with a little digging found his first name was Daniel. Elsa and Daniel had two children David Jones and Adalaide Fortanness. Daniel’s parents were Henry Rockefeller and Susan Taylor; grandparents: John Rockefeller and Margaret Kitchen; great-grandparents: Johann Peter Rockefeller, II and Mary Bellis; and great-grandfather: Johann Peter Rockefeller I. Junior and Senior immigrated in the early 18th century to Hunterdon County, West Jersey.

It is believed the Rockefellers were Huguenots who escaped when the persecutions began after the revoking of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 to Germany. It is interesting to see the Kitchen name “pop-up,” as well as Bellis, which are Heath allied families. If the genealogy found on the internet is correct, Margaret’s parents were Samuel Kitchen and Mary Garrison. Samuel was the brother of Wheeler Kitchen, who married Mary Heath, daughter of Andrew (II) and Mary Heath.

Having seen the Rockefeller name in Hunterdon County while looking through newspapers and census, it started me thinking, what was the connection to 19th century’s richest man in the world and the most famous American Rockefeller, John D. His name has come up while researching both of my grandmothers’ families, albeit extremely distant but still interesting.

John Davison Rockefeller is a descendant of Johann Peter Rockefeller II and Mary Bellis through their son William who married Christina Rockefeller, a descendant of Diell Rockefeller (who immigrated from Germany and settled in upstate New York), and possibly a brother of Johann Peter, Sr. William and Christina’s son Godfrey, married Lucy Avery; their son William Avery Rockefeller married Eliza Davison, and their son was John D.

The connection with Louise Palmer Heath is through her mother Agnes Palmer, who shared with John D. a distant ancestor Walter Palmer, Puritan immigrant, founder* of Charlestown/Boston, Massachusetts; and co-founder of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, and Stonington, Connecticut. John D.’s relationship is through his grandmother Lucy Avery Rockefeller, a descendant of Grace (Walter’s daughter from his first marriage) and Thomas Miner. John D. contributed to Johann Peter Rockefeller’s monument erected at Amwell Ridge Cemetery, Ringoes, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; and Walter Palmer’s at Wequetequock Burial Ground, Stonington, New London County, Connecticut.

If you are interested in reading more about the Rockefeller family and Amy Heath Cowdrick’s grand-daughter Adelaide F. Rockefeller, a memorial was written about her life, interests, and Rockefeller genealogy in “Transactions of the Rockefeller Family Association” [1910], page 48 (see link below).
https://books.google.com/books?id=F1xPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=Adalaide+Rockefeller&source=bl&ots=8la3qCBvvT&sig=ACfU3U3kUSmtiWn7a0nEHK3oEjFkA0OYqA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf0uCap7DlAhXjSt8KHcUfCDMQ6AEwAHoECBYQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

*Some sources say Walter is the founder of Charlestown, Massachusetts, he was chosen leader of the group who immigrated on one of the six vessels to Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1629. Walter with a small group went to investigate a place called Mishawam by the Indians, as a potential place to create a settlement, which became known as Charlestown.
Donna Tunison

Re: Rockefeller Connection

Postby mrkheath113 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:26 am

Whilst researching the history behind Donna's excellent article I found some more information on Findagrave.com about Grace PALMER b.1683, which I found helped me to understand the intricate connections a bit easier...

Grace Minor nee Palmer
Birth Sep 1683 Stonington, New London County, Connecticut, USA
Death unknown
Burial; Unknown
Memorial ID 161451534 · https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161 ... ace-palmer
Grace was born in Taugwonk, now Stonington, New London Co., CT. She died sometime after her last child-Wait Palmer- was born May 27, 1711.
==============================
On Jan 10, 1701 /02, Grace married William Palmer, son of Gershom Palmer born Jun 16, 1644 and Ann Denison born May 2, 1649, daughter of George Denison and Ann Borodel.
==============================
Grace Minor born 1683 was a granddaughter of the Grace Palmer born 1608, who married Lieut.Thomas Minor.
Lieut. Thomas Minor has 2 memorial pages-
1) Lieut Thomas Minor cenotaph with bio info and
2) Lieut Thomas Minor at cemetery with their children listed.

Grace nee Palmer b. 1608 was the dau. of Walter Palmer & his first wife of unknown name (not Rebecca Short). Note: There is no proof at all that Walter's Unknown wife is Anne Eliz. Horne who has a memorial page connected to Walter.

So, Grace Minor 1683, the great-granddaughter of Walter Palmer and his first wife, married William Palmer born 1678 who was the grandson of Walter Palmer & his 2nd wife, Rebecca Short, and the son of Gershom Palmer (the son of Walter & Rebecca).

So, Grace born 1683 was her husband William's half-first cousin once removed.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161 ... ace-palmer
mrkheath113

Return to Genealogy